This fanciful reinterpretation of pulled pork uses chicken and lots of tomato sauce. Have sliced jalapenos, sliced red onions and some sour cream on hand to top this hearty main course.
Serves 8 | Hands-on time: 25 minutes | Total time: 330 minutes
- 1 8-ounce ca reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce ca chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
ONE: Stir tomato sauce, chiles, vinegar, honey, paprika, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ground chipotle and salt in
a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add chicken, onion and garlic; stir to combine.
TWO: Put the lid on and cook on low until the chicken can be pulled apart, about 5 hours.
THREE: Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the sauce, stir well and serve.